Friday, January 3, 2014

How I came to realize I was a girl

Hello Hello men and gentlewomen, 
today I will be recounting the tale of how I, Panteha Abareshi, came to realize that I am a girl. Sometimes it isn't as simple as looking at the anatomy. I was indeed born the female sex, meaning that all my bits and pieces are what we call the female version of the human species. As i grew up, I never really fit into the archetypal "girl" role. I hated dolls, and I've always preferred pants over dresses. I liked the colors blue and green, not pink and purple. But overall, I did think "I'm a girl". and I was. and I still am the same girl/woman/female thing (though perhaps a bit taller and hopefully wiser). I must admit that my realization that I am a girl was quite simply made, but I realize that for some, it isn't so easy. I have come the the belief that your anatomy is not linked to your mental identity. One may be born a boy physically, but mentally not feel remotely masculine. One may be born a girl but not necessarily feel that they are a girl. Now this isn't going to be a rant to end Trans-Hate... no, I'm much to tired to write about that now. It's 6:00! Maybe after I've drunk some tea... 
Anyways. This isn't about that. This is about reminding people, or even teaching people that everyone grows into themselves. Nobody is born with a clear idea of what they'll be like 10 years, 20 years or even 80 years down the road. Why would you want to  We're kids for a while, all excited and unaware, then we grow to be moody, angsty teens who quote Marilyn Monroe and Kurt Cobain. Then we leave highschool like baby birds leaving the nest, and go to college or start working at Mcdonalds. Like I said, it's a process.  I had no idea what a feminist was when I was 9. Now look at me, all against the patriarchy. No matter what you have to realize about yourself, whether it be your gender, your sexuality, your politics, taste in music, or stuff as simple as whether you like sleeping on the right or left side of the bed, it is a process. Everyone wants to be independent, but I think that people are under the misconception that to be individual they have to be radically different and wild, but Individuality is making your own beliefs out of the influences and beliefs around you. The beautiful thing about being a human is that we aren't confined by evolutionary disadvantages, and by animalistic habits.... well for the most part. That's why we're so diverse and wildly different from eachother. 
Embrace the process. Kill the patriarchy.

Hugs and defiance or gender roles,

Panteha 

No comments:

Post a Comment